Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Year 2016

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO MY FOLLOWERS AND ALL MY OTHER READERS!

2015 was bad for me, as you know if you've been following the blog through the year. I owe a lot of apologies to people I let down when illness struck. Now that I'm recovering, albeit very slowly, I'm hoping 2016 will be a catch-up year.

When I began looking at Natural Translation in the 70s, the idea that translating could be done without training or professional qualifications was anathema to my colleagues. Even by 2009, when I started this blog, the literature on untrained, intuitive translation was infinitesimal compared to the flood of writings about what I polemically called "the icing on the cake": that is to say, all the skilled literary, legal, religious, etc. translating and its practitioners. To my mind the turning point came when Rachele Antonini organised NPIT1, the First International Conference on Non-professional Interpreting and Translation, at Forli in 2012. That was recognition. Now we're coming up to NPIT3 this year. Non-professional translation is not the same as natural translation, but it's a step in that direction. As a distinguished reader has just written to me, "The work that started several years ago is paying off today."

Thank you everybody.



NPIT3, Winterthur (near Zurich), 5-7 May 2016
International forum for Non-Professional Interpreting and Translation, the latest paradigm in translation studies. http://www.zhaw.ch/linguistics/npit3.

No comments:

Post a Comment